This is a special announcement regarding new Australian laws coming into effect relating to charging a fee for payments off debit or credit cards, tap payments or alternative payment type like wechat/wepay or AliPay (payments by QR codes).
Government is undertaking measures to eliminate excessive surcharging at the point of sale (POS). Some cafe owners and merchants are charging up to an additional dollar or more.
Key things that you need to know;
1. It’s now illegal to charge an additional fee above what it costs you at the point of sale counter.
2. After 1st Sep 17 Government will be enforcing via fines.
3. It’s not illegal to have a minimum amount for card type payments. eg: $10 Minimum.
4. Additional info from govt here: http://www.rba.gov.au/payments-and-infrastructure/review-of-card-payments-regulation/
MCR advises all cafe owners to adjust their policies and payments at the counter accordingly.
Of course additional to the above cafe owners are faced with a barrage of options now including;
1. Skip Orders,
2. Digital loyalty programs
3. Alternative payments like
3. bitcoin payments (cryptocurrency)
MCR will be putting a series of articles together to advise cafe owners and managers on these developments and how you can use them to your advantage. If there are any questions, feel free to email me direct email@example.com.